Welcome to my World

Browse to your hearts content. I will try to make it interesting for you.

Saturday, November 7, 2009

Arbor I made to sit in to watch new water feature


We had a lot of fallen boughs from our hundred foot trees on the south side of our house. I was always moving them around so I could get to the compost heap.
I decided to make an arbor. I would like to say I made the whole thing myself although my husband helped me put in the four main poles.
From there, I was the one to design the arbor. After it was completed, I made a floor from the 4 by 4 inch poles that had been around the above ground pool we took out. Amazingly enough, there was just enough.
The cement bird bath that I mosaiced sits to the left of the arbor. Morning glories were planted on the right side. Small pink flower Clemantis will adorn the back and ferns adorn the left side.
In front, I placed self made cottage stones I had made from what was left from the sidewalk we made. Between the stones, I place tiny thyme stepable plants.
On the boughs that jutted out to the front on either side, I placed red petunias and small white flowers.
I had started in May of 2009 and by August, the plants filled in most of the arbor and it looked very cozy.
Now, in the summer, we can sit on the chairs we placed there and relax as we watch the new water feature and listen to the running water and the birds.
The top picture was taken in August while the bottom picture was taken in July.
I am so pleased with myself. Next summer, I plan to make some log seats or a whole bench.
I have all winter to think about it and plan.
Have you made an arbor? It really is fun to make.

1 comment:

  1. Love it!!!! Twigs and branches make the most
    beautiful things!

    Actually, I did make an arbor once out of
    Sweet Gum branch trimmings. I had no clue
    what I was doing but it turned out good...
    the only problem was when we moved I hadnt
    really known how to put it together properly and it
    came apart when they tried to move it.

    ReplyDelete